‘There’s more than one way to skin a cat.’
Idioms can have unfortunate imagery, can’t they! As a cat-lover I’d like to propose we replace the above saying with:
‘There’s more than one way to make a lasagne.’
For the last 20 years or so I’ve been making a version inspired by a Filipina neighbor we once had in the Netherlands. What makes this lasagne unique is its layer of bacon and sliced hard boiled eggs. If you haven’t tasted it already, try it. It could become one of your favourite dishes, as it’s become one of ours!
– 500g lean ground pork or beef
– 200g chopped and fried bacon
– 4 or 5 hard boiled eggs
– 100g (approx) grated cheese
– 1 large onion
– 4 or 5 cloves garlic
– 1 tin (approx 400g / 14 oz) diced tomatoes
– 1 packet (approx 250g) tomato sauce
– 1 heaped tablespoon peanut butter
– half teaspoon turmeric
– a few drops of tabasco sauce
– 1 teaspoon knorr liquid seasoning / Maggi
– salt and pepper to taste
– oven ready lasagne sheets
– olive or coconut oil
– Chop then fry bacon
– Hard boil then slice eggs
– First fry chopped garlic and onion in the oil.
– Add the ground pork or beef. Cook together, then drain excess fat.
– Add the turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix well.
– Then stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato sauce, liquid seasoning and tabasco sauce.
– In a separate bowl mix the peanut butter with about a cup of hot water until it’s a smooth sauce, then add to meat sauce.
– Stir well and simmer for a few minutes.
– Add more salt, pepper, tabasco sauce, liquid seasoning, peanut butter – if necessary – until you have the taste you like.
– Bottom layer in the lasagne dish: meat sauce
– Then 1st layer of oven ready (precooked) lasagne sheets
– Next the layer of sliced hard boiled eggs and chopped fried bacon (*)
– 2nd layer of lasagne sheets
– Next layer of meat sauce
– 3rd layer of lasagne sheets
– Top layer of meat sauce
– Cover with grated cheese
Bake in preheated oven
– 180 C / 356 F
– 35 – 40 minutes
– Serve with a salad
– (*) Add chopped fried bacon to top layer of meat sauce (under grated cheese) – as in top photo